Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Memories of Denise

I met Denise as fellow freshman at the University of Minnesota - we were both music majors. She was studying piano and I was studying composition. We hit it off immediately - maybe it was because I had long hair and she with her army bag and dark makeup. I soon realized this was one SMART and fun girl. Denise was my best friend at the U of Mn and we shared many great experiences together. I was so fortunate to have met her and to have been her friend. She taught me many things throughout the 4 years we hung out at the U. I learned a hard work ethic from her. Wether it was her job at McDonalds where I believe she was the manager. Once I visited her and tried to get a free ice cream cone but she would have nothing to do with it! Or her relentless studying in music theory, music history and piano. I also learned to have fun and enjoy life through the little things. She and I along with others would sit and laugh about all things silly and music related. Most of all I learned how to be a better friend. Denise was kind, thoughtful, selfless, always up, positive, encouraging and fun.

Denise played piano for my wedding - she was a rock I knew I could depend on. Seeing her up on the stage on my most important day of my life was so awesome. She was the consummate pro. Denise also humored me and played along side me on a 4 handed piano piece I wrote. I can't tell you how cool it is to have a friend that shares your same passions and musical talents play along side of you.

As I moved on to California, Denise and I stayed in touch and I always got an awesome silly Christmas card from her. We didn't talk as much but kept emails going until a few years ago. I am happy to say that she and I were back in touch this summer and that we were able to talk on the phone a little bit. I knew she was sick but had no idea she was going to leave us so soon. Denise, I value your friendship and the things you taught me about life and I will miss you dearly.

To her family I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my daily prayers and I thank you for what you meant to Denise and for being there for her in her best and toughest times.

No comments: