Thursday, September 25, 2008

I remember.....

I have so many great memories of Denise, our lives have intertwined each others in a most fantastic way over the last 20+ years.....but I guess I should start at the beginning.

I do actually remember the very first time we met...of all places at a high school dance. It was, of course, very lame but I guess we had nothing better to do, and I couldn't believe my luck to meet a kindred spirit in such an unlikely place. We became fast friends and I was bummed to be left behind for one more year of high school when Denise graduated.

Denise went to the University of Minnesota, and I followed her a year later.
Music was of course so much of Denise's life. But the music that bonded us
together was punk rock. We attended COUNTLESS shows together...and as
partners in crime we created a radio show together at the U and we were
known as "The two most incredible mediocre djs" and called ourselves Laura
Threat and Denise X. We were I suppose as the title dictates, mediocre, but
that didn't matter because we had the most fun there, dancing and laughing
and generally causing mayhem until wee hours of the morning.

After college, I left Minneapolis for England, and she left for NYC.
One day she called me to tell me she was getting married, and I told her that I was too. I agreed to fly back to Minnesota to attend her wedding and she would fly back from her honeymoon to be at my wedding. We were married 2 weeks apart.

After the wedding she went back to New York and we followed her. We were so
thrilled to have a dear friend here in NYC and it made the move so much
easier. Literally they made is easier, it was the 4 of us, Denise, Charlie, Tristram and myself moving into a 4th floor walk-up....now THAT's a good friend!!

Denise you have been here for me throughout my entire adult life. At my side to make the whole scene easier, better, more fun.

And now I have a giant hole inside me and I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to fill it. But as much my heart is aching right now I can still think of any one of crazy adventures and laugh out loud. And I know how special that is. And I know how special you are. And I love you.

No comments: